Severe Weather Arrangements
Very occasionally, severe weather can create conditions which affect the ability to keep the Academy open. A decision to close may need to be made in the following circumstances:
- Severe weather occurs when the Academy is already open and the severe weather incident occurs or is forecast for the middle of the day;
- The night before a severe weather incident has been forecast;
- Early morning after or during a severe weather incident.
The main considerations in making decisions to close are:
- Health and safety of students, staff and visitors travelling to and from and around the site;
- Travel delays at the start of the day causing supervision issues in the Academy;
- Ability to provide food for students and staff during the academic day;
- Effects of the extreme conditions on the Academy site; and
- Travel considerations later in the day for a safe journey home.
Whenever there is an academy closure, parents/carers will be contacted in the following ways:
- via this website (on the front page);
- via text (if you have a mobile phone registered on the Academy database);
- local radio stations.
Only the Principal can make the decision to close the Academy. All Headteachers in the Felixstowe double pyramid have pledged to work together to co-ordinate opening / closure in severe weather across the town.
The only definitive guide to Academy/schools closures is the Suffolk County Council School Closure Website on http://schoolclosures.suffolk.gov.uk/schoolsrolite.php?qtown=felixstowe